The importance of a synopsis

Like most writers, I hate writing synopses.  I find them hard and it's even harder to keep them down to a page of A4 while getting everything that is necessary in.  However, having recently reached the end of my WIP, I discovered the importance of a synopsis for keeping a writer on track.  This is a book I've been writing a while - a lot longer than I would normally take over a book, in fact, due in no small part to the disruption and uncertainty of the Covid-19 lockdowns.  But, finally, it was finished and I was breathing that wonderful and long-awaited sigh of relief at the prospect of sending it off to the editors when I realised the ending was all wrong! Totally wrong!!

As I'd worked through the book,the story changed a little, as often happens. I'd moved away from the original synopsis slightly, and I was aware of the fact. But it wasn't until I'd finished the book that I realised the original ending, as per the synopsis, was actually the right one.  So last week, I stepped away from the computer, took a long walk up along the coastal path above the Dyfi Valley and sorted it all out in my head.  A weekend of re-writing later and the final chapter is redone and I'm happy with it now.  And I will never grumble at writing a synopsis ever again!

 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translated titles

Over the border and into the Wars of the Roses

GIVEAWAY! ITALIAN AND GERMAN TRANSLATIONS OF THE WARRIOR'S RELUCTANT WIFE