Rural Idyll and Productive Writing

They say a change is as good as a rest so I spent a relaxing and rejuvenating few days away last week with writing friend Rachael Thomas.  We rented a lovely little cottage just outside Llanwrtyd Wells in mid Wales and it was truly idyllic.  Surrounded by hills, farmland and forestry, complete with a fourteenth century church, there were plenty of mind-clearing walks to enjoy in between our writing sessions and (on the whole!) healthy meals, and the combination worked beautifully for me.


As I'd said in my previous post, I was stuck on Chapter Five of my current WIP and had been for a frustrating few weeks but a couple of days away from it all really unblocked my creative channels.  Working at home, which I am lucky enough to be able to do, is fine up to a point but sometimes a change of scenery, as well as having an inspiring fellow writer to bounce ideas around with, really makes a difference.


Not only did I manage to get past the sticking point but got another two chapters done in draft and am on the home run at last.  I know exactly where the story is going now and also the bits that need editing or changing.  I also know my characters better too and, best of all, I finally fell in love with my hero - and it wasn't just because he got his kit off :) 

Thanks to Rachael for the fabulous photos.


Comments

  1. It was a wonderful few days - thank Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great, wasn't it, and so much writing done. As you say in your blog - perfect :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa, what a lovely spot you found. Am glad to hear the change of scene worked well. Home run now for your hero and heroine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, yes, it was just the right tonic at just the right time. Hope your revisions are going well and that this one is THE ONE for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nadolig Llawen - Merry Christmas!

Dipyn o Gymraeg ~ A bit of Welsh

A variety of book covers