A New Year and A New Book

Although, to be truthful, this one has been hanging about in the wings since at least the end of November!  Sometimes, like a new seedling, a story needs to take root, to sprout and begin to grow, and that requires a lot of patience on the part of a writer who likes to get going and set a deadline for submission.  As such, this book promises to be a bit of a learning curve but hopefully it will be a period of new growth for me too as a writer.  Perhaps it's because this particular book comes on the back of a fast and furious series of rejections over the last year, some of which were very hard to swallow.  Exploring a different and unfamiliar process, letting the story write itself and set its own pace, means the characters don't do quite what I want them to do sometimes.  But, for now, I'm going with the flow and enjoying a sense of freedom in my writing that I haven't felt for a long time.  I have set a deadline, however, although I have a sneaky suspicion that it may be a constantly moving one!
 


Comments

  1. Hi Melissa. What an exciting time trying something new. I am sure that just as a good wine needs time to mature, this book will surprise you and your characters will take you to new places, perhaps in their own time but the book will be stronger for it. Wishing you every success. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sarah. Letting the story tell itself instead of forcing it is exciting and also much more satisfying than giving myself impossible hurdles to jump! Hope your writing is going well and looking forward to a catch up soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, this sounds intriguing. I look forward to hearing all about it when we meet at Fishguard next month. Just about to start reading your first chapter btw! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, thanks for your comment. I've already read your fabulous Fishguard chapter and I love it! What a powerful set-up!! See you soon xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nadolig Llawen - Merry Christmas!

Dipyn o Gymraeg ~ A bit of Welsh

A variety of book covers